Sunday, November 24, 2013

Good mornings form? v. back pain?

Good mornings form? v. back pain?


Having done squats and SLDLs for some time, I thought good mornings would be neat to try out and substitute for SLDLs as I've noticed my lower back giving out for heavier squats. Reading and watching various animations, GMs seem rather similar in form to SLDLs, with bending of the knees on the way down, then straightening back up as the bar is pulled up. I feel some pull in the hamstrings, a la the SLDL, but more emphasis in the lower back, as expected. A few hours after the workout, however, I notice some soreness/pain that I usually never experience unless by accident (occasionally I'll perform a standing shoulder press incorrectly and tweak the lower back for a few hours of joyful pain, but I'm relatively free of any back problems). I'm assuming there's something in the form I'm missing, as this pain doesn't feel like soreness or super early DOMS. I warm up with the bar for a solid 10 reps, make sure the back is flat (a la squats and SLDLs), and my head is forward/facing upward throughout the lift... what might I be doing wrong? Although the pain goes away in a few hours after a night's sleep, it repeats every time I'm doing GMs (once each last 2 weeks). My working reps are only 75lbs or so, for 3x8-10s

man I love that feeling... sorry can't help though

too much weight?












































Good mornings form? v. back pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts