Saturday, January 18, 2014

Most effective way to do HIIT while running?

Most effective way to do HIIT while running?


How can i burn the most fat possible while doing HIIT running? I've read numerous articles, websites, and threads, but i'm confused. One site for example said: 5 minute jog (warmup), run 90-95% max speed for 1 minute, slow down to jog until you can do it again. another said to do the same thing except only sprint for 20 seconds... a third of what the first site said. Others still said sprint then walk, compared to a jog. I'm just confused! someone point me in the right direction please. again my goal is just to burn as much fat possible, while increasing stamina/endurance.

My understanding was that HIIT is supposed to be most effective doing sprint/jog splits of about 30 seconds each, but I haven't done it so I can't tell you based on experience. I'm inclined to say that it really doesn't matter as far as burning more fat. Fat loss is 99% diet, and doing cardio isn't the magic fat burner that everyone makes it out to be. Read the fat loss sticky 2nd from the top for good info.

ah ok cool thanks. anyone have any advice from experience? I'm by no means out of shape i can jog 4-5 miles without stopping or being too dead at the end. I'm about 195lb at 6"0 right now and want to get down to 180-185.

unless you specialize in the 400m it's going to be pretty hard to run 90% for a minute. even 30 seconds is unrealistic if you follow up with a 50% jog. you want to be at about 70% for the sprint and 30% for the jog.

t-nation had a good article, but now the link seems to be dead. I have the chart printed out on how to follow hiit. I can scan it if anyone wants.

superbri007 i jog for 45 seconds to 60 seconds, then all out sprint balls to the wall for about 15 seconds that's about what I do. 45 second jog followed by 15 seconds of all out run for your life sprinting.

45 jog/15 sprint: After the 15 seconds of sprinting do you go back to 45 seconds of jogging and then repeat? or go even slower.. or what. and for how many minutes do you do this for?

i go back to jogging. Its hard at first but you slowly build up a longer time that you can do it. Bush77 45 jog/15 sprint: After the 15 seconds of sprinting do you go back to 45 seconds of jogging and then repeat? or go even slower.. or what. and for how many minutes do you do this for?

superbri007 good shit huh? especially when its summer time, 90 degrees and humid do i actually burn more calories/fat when it's hot out? i jogged 10km today (not HIIT) and it was 27* celsius... i was dripping.

unrealii t-nation had a good article, but now the link seems to be dead. I have the chart printed out on how to follow hiit. I can scan it if anyone wants.

thanks alot edmang

I just mix it up to not get bored. My partner and me went to the field and basically found a midpoint in it and sprinted to it then jogged to the end and then sprinted back so it alternated sprint jog same distance. Another that I think it good to do is sprint backwards and sideways. I read an article that said you burn more calories going backwards and sideways basically cause your muscles were not as efficent at it. Makes me feel like more of an athlete also.

thanks alot for the help/advice guys. i'm in a 10km race a week from this sunday and after that i'll start the 8 week program in the "Good Shape" row. Hopefully see a noticable improvement by the time i'm done in july. So a routine like that, mixed with a decent diet i'll be burning fat and building up stamina/endurance?
























Most effective way to do HIIT while running?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts