Thursday, January 16, 2014

Basketball Shape?

Basketball Shape?


I don't know how many of you play basketball, but I'm curious if anyone could give some good advice for getting in shape for basketball. More specifically, being able to jump higher and run faster. I know you'll all say, well go out and run or jump rope. But are there any tricks of the trade or routines you could offer. Thanks in advance

Play basketball as much as you can. There are several exercises you can do that will help your vertical that don't require any extra equipment, you can do a Google search for those. As for running faster, run hills. Wind sprints will help you get conditioned right for basketball. But the best way to get in overall basketball shape is to play basketball.

i dont remember what the exercise is called, but what you do is you take a step pad, and jump over it side to side like 20 times. every time you finish a set, stack another step pad onto it until you cant jump over it anymore. jump rope would help too i guess. wind sprints are always good. you can work out and shit, but i think the physical activity of ballin will benefit you the most.

I play recreationally, about 4-5 times a week, 2-3 hours per those days that I do play. I do notice I slowly get a higher vertical and can play longer and run faster. But I'd like to speed up the process. Playing for my school wouldn't be entirely outta the question if I was in shape. I find it's mostly people are faster than me and jump higher. I'm not that tall (5'10"), so I need to find other ways. I also tried looking up stuff on google, i mostly got sites that are selling some tapes. But I know people already know this stuff. Just curious if anyone had anything they do to get in shape. Yes, stronger would be good to get steals and rebounds. Edit: I know diet is crucial too, anything in particular?

bunny hops > *

sorry for ignorance... wind sprints?

Yeah I play a bit, but my diet pretty much counteracts that. Shooting and dribbling I don't really have a problem with. I'm actually considered one of the "shooters" on the courts. So, it's really running faster, jumping higher, keeping it up the whole game. I feel I have excellent court awareness, but I can't always act on it cause I can't act in time. By the way, thanks for all the advice guys.

Playing yourself into shape is not bad. If you want do sprints where you start at the end line, go to the free thow line and back, go to the mid court line and back, go to the far free throw line and back and then go end line to end line. If it is on a large basketball court and takes you longer than 28seconds to do then you are slow. Just keep practicing. *edit* hops are overrated, they are nice to have but you can be just as good a player without them

i remember reading something in an interview with dennis rodman when he was like, the leading rebounder in the nation. he said his key was a rock solid mid section, all power is derived from a solid core of muscle. you said you were looking for some key tricks of the trade, that was one that stuck with me. learn how to box out, if a guy can jump higher than me and is taller than me, excellent boxing out will eliminate his advantage. develop your fast twitch muscles, when you're not the tallest guy.. this'll help you get around them or shoot over them.

go_duke21 *edit* hops are overrated, they are nice to have but you can be just as good a player without them Hops can help every aspect of your game. If they don't, then you aren't a good basketball player. Only in serious cases (John Stockton, for example) will an ability to jump be obsolete. I don't think the starter of this thread is John Stockton.

smoke menthol cigs

Read this article: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=306dirt2

Mike McDermott Nah, that's more about doing well on a VJ test. Check out this article instead: http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...icle_fab15.htm I'm sure a VJ test program will help with the "hops" that someone here was mentioning..

teamelement3 I don't know how many of you play basketball, but I'm curious if anyone could give some good advice for getting in shape for basketball. More specifically, being able to jump higher and run faster. I know you'll all say, well go out and run or jump rope. But are there any tricks of the trade or routines you could offer. Thanks in advance well heres a few tips...as far as jumping higher, concentrate on workouts that improve your calves...every once in awhile throw in some quad workouts. calf raises, go to a gym and use their calf raising machines, and just do run and sprints, taht works out all aread of your legs. for getting faster just run period: sprints, suicides, skips, etc. and while your at it sprint with a basketball for better handling skills. good luck to you

If you want to run faster, do sprints 10-30m, working on driving off the blocks and then finishing strong. For quickness look into plyometrics. They teach you how to explode and recruits fast twitch fibers. To jump higher do box jumps with a medicine ball. And it'll help to do some weight lifting like squats and good mornings. As for lasting longer in a game, try running the court counting down from 10-0, make a layup, and then 9-0, all the way down to 2. Rest and repeat 5 more times. My stamina has improved quite a bit since I started that. That's a total of 1 mile running.

christophers "Calves have as much to do with vertical as the color of your hair" -Joe Defranco IBincessantracismtofollow

Mike McDermott all wrong, except for sprints roighttttttt............

Davo Hops can help every aspect of your game. If they don't, then you aren't a good basketball player. Only in serious cases (John Stockton, for example) will an ability to jump be obsolete. I don't think the starter of this thread is John Stockton. Like I said, obviously they are nice to have, but you dont need them to be a good player, most people can't jump 40 inches so if you work on lateral quickness, shooting, etc you will be just as well off. Too many people just concentrate on trying to dunk and they don't practice everything else enough, that was all I was alluding to. And I don't see how sprints are bad, wouldn't it be just like HIIT? I mean there are tonnes of ways to get in good shape, sprints worked well for me in high school, my team was always in better condition than the teams we played against.

basketball shape = round. /thread

christophers "Calves have as much to do with vertical as the color of your hair" -Joe Defranco i dont remember if you're quoting this from memory or you actualy found it somewhere, but that's not quite the quote i found which. i found "Big calves have as much to do with vertical as the color of your hair" - Joe Defranco in a Q&A on his website. Questioner and Joe Defranco " Q: What are the best exercises for increasing calf strength and size? I do a lot of standing and seated calf raises, but I was wondering if there is anything else I'm missing? I'm about 2" away from dunking a basketball and I'm looking for an edge. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. John A: Big calves have about as much to do with how high you can jump as the color of your hair. Sure, there's nothing wrong with doing some calf raises in your training routine, but they shouldn't be the focus of the routine. As I've said time and time again, the "posterior chain" (spinal erectors, gluteals and hamstrings) makes up around 70% of the musculature that is responsible for your jumping ability. Squat and deadlift variations, Olympic lifts and good mornings will give you the best "bang for your buck" with regards to improving your vertical jump in the weight room. There is another very interesting factor that plays a large role in how high you can jump. I've had the pleasure of working with over 2-dozen athletes who can jump over 35" and, besides being very strong in the posterior chain, they had something else in common. The one thing they all had in common are what I call "high cut" calves. What I mean by this is that the calves have an insertion point very high on the lower leg. This usually means a longer Achilles tendon. A longer Achilles tendon can store more elastic energy, which translates into more explosive jumps." -Joe Cliffs : big calves dont help you jump, what helps you jump are a powerful "posterior chain" (spinal erectors, gluteals and hamstrings). also a high calf muscle insertion (people with calves way up near their knees) cause they have long achilles tendons, and there's not much you can do about that (genetics).

KingGargantuan basketball shape = round. /thread sweet, i'm in basketball shape.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...icle_fab15.htm

tize i hate how basketball players look

Didn't know this thread was still alive... Would ankle weights add anything? I heard they could be harmful? I'll read those links for more..

Mike McDermott how do you know so much, you ever play for a team?

Basketball Shape?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts